Sunday, January 18, 2009

One Step At a Time


Woman running


Every year I go through a meditative period, where I evaluate all my past and present goals and determine which ones are worth keeping. I narrow my list and focus on those that are aligned with my beliefs. And although sustainability and the pursuit of health and fitness have been my priority for many years, I am always looking for the next physical challenge. It keeps thing interesting and gives me the opportunity to set new personal records.

This year our good friends, Tom and Maxine Yunker, have inspired us to take on the new challenge of running our first marathon. Tom and Maxine have been avid runners for some time, and as the subject came up frequently, it awakened a desire within us to start running.

Early this month we bought our running shoes and gear. We found a training plan that matched our fitness levels and started a 10 week preliminary training program. The goal during these 10 weeks is to be able to run for 30 continuous minutes at a comfortable pace, and build endurance for the 18 week training program that follows.

We have been working out for many years, but during all this time running has never been my cardiovascular exercise of choice. I would always gravitate towards the elliptical machines or the recumbent bicycles, both of which allowed me to log some reading time...a multi-tasker's dream come true!

During my first run I understood the overwhelming challenge ahead of me, as my body protested with every stride. However, I knew from the start that it was going to take time and persistence to get me through the workouts.

After completing my first 2 weeks I felt I had made great progress. I was feeling charged up and motivated, until Adrian burst my bubble, saying "Keep it up, at this pace you'll finish the marathon by dinner time!"

I know that this new challenge will change my life. I will be testing my personal limits, as well as my threshold for fear and pain, in ways that I have never experienced before. Here's to a new level of personal achievement.

No comments: